Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pink Slips Brought Out the Tiger Mom in Me


It's not Kyle's driver's ed permit, it's not the bank releasing itself from being a lienholder after your car is paid off, most importantly, it's not a layoff notice either. The pink slips are being issued to Bryce for misbehaving in class almost every week. It's either for Talking, Being out of line, Monkey-ing Around, Embarassing Behavior or Wasting Time. For every tally, the punishment increases. All of his pink slips have been warnings and all of the slips are for talking or wasting time.

The Tiger Mom in me wants to beat the crap out of him. I want to take everything away from him. I want him to feel some pain. I'm at my wits end with this matter and simply have no answer to how to punish him and make him take responsibility for his actions. While I know these pink slips are simply 'warning' letters, it doesn't change the fact that he’s still getting reprimanded and I have to see one every week for the last month! I can take baseball and basketball away. However, taking those away only means it'll hurt his team. Why should his teams be punished for his mistakes. They don't deserve to play with one less player. What if they lose?  That would really suck.  One parent suggested punishment should occur immediately after a game. This will allow him to play and still support his teams. I've taken away his iPod Shuffle, TV, computer privileges and anything that's 'fun' to him. Along with all that, no going outside to shoot baskets, practicing and baseball hitting lessons. Well? We're STILL getting pink slips. In fact, he brought one home today. (sigh)

I was livid. I cussed, yelled and lost it. I promised that I would take away baseball and basketball COMPLETELY. What the heck was I thinking? Why did I have to be so ugly about it? Now I feel like I've got to comply on the promise I made. It wasn't a threat, I promised I'd take all of that away from him. To the point of quitting the Jags, Rockfish, TABB (baseball) , Sansei Little League and summer league baseball. I went off about how his 5th grade life was going to be all about studying and nothing else. I also told him he HAS to get all straight A's. Anything lower will be unacceptable and grounds for even MORE studying and a far greater punishment.

I sound just like my mother when she used to scold me.  What am I supposed to do now that I’ve made a promise? My mother would have no problems following through. Sports meant nothing to her. Studying always came first even if I was sick as a dog and puking in the toilet. It had to be life and death to be off the hook from studying. Now I’ve gotten myself in my own sticky mess. I made a promise. (SMH) I can only hope my yelling, screaming and cussing woke him up and made him realize he has to shape up. I don’t want to go to that extreme.  Yes I am reminded they're only warnings.  Ugh. PINK SLIPS GO AWAY!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

To take the edge off... I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. Don’t feel obliged to do anything more than just accept it as a compliment! Or if you want to see how it all works, details here: http://makesmewander.com/2012/03/14/day73/